Professional Liability Insurance Frequently Asked Questions

Who is eligible for professional liability coverage?

All social workers who have a social work degree are eligible for coverage. An applicant whose highest degree is a BSW and who is in direct clinical/therapeutic or independent social work is eligible as long as he/she has supervision by a professional with at least a Master’s degree in a mental health field. For questions about eligibility, call us at 855-385-2160.

Do I need to be licensed to get the insurance?

In most situations, yes. However, not all social workers need a license in their home state to practice in a specific field. Please call for more information if you are unlicensed.

What is Claims-Made coverage?

A Claims-Made policy will cover you for alleged incidents that happen between the enrollment date and expiration of your policy, but claims must be reported while the policy is in force. Extended Reporting Endorsement, or Tail Coverage, is necessary to protect you against claims reports presented after the policy expires.

What is an Extended Reporting Rider or a “tail?”

An extended reporting rider or “tail” allows you to stop your policy but still have coverage for future claims made based on events that occurred during the period your policy was in force. A “tail” protects you from practice activities during the time that your policy was in force. If you retire or become disabled, the “tail” is offered to you at no cost, and our administration team needs to be notified of this event; a “tail” is not automatic. Please call 888-278-0038.

How do I apply?
Apply online at or call 855-385-2160.
Why are my premium rates increasing every year?
Claims-made liability insurance has small stepped increases during the early years for each individual insured in the program. Your rates increase for 6 years and then level off or mature. You should not expect additional rate increases on a mature claims-made policy unless the risk posed by policyholders necessitates an across the board increase or you form a legal entity.
How much insurance do I need?
You may want to consult your attorney to determine the limits you should purchase. You might find that most managed-care entities, hospitals, and facilities require you to carry at least $1 million per incident and a $3 million aggregate. The NASW Assurance Services, Inc. offers up to $2,000,000 per claim/$4 million aggregate coverage ($3,000,000 per claim/$5million aggregate in Virginia).
What happens if I need to change my policy before the renewal date?

Please call our member care unit for assistance 855-385-2160 or renew your policy at renew your policy online.

Who can I call if I have additional questions?

If you have questions, please call 855-385-2160. We will be happy to answer all your questions. You can also email us at [email protected].